The manufacturing sector has deep roots in Welland’s history and the City has continued to keep pace with the ever-changing advanced manufacturing landscape. Welland has shovel ready lands, attractive incentives, a large multi-regional labour pool, location and transportation linkages to continue to grow this sector. In addition, Niagara College with programs at the Walker Manufacturing Centre and HQ for Southern Ontario Network for Advanced Manufacturing Innovation (SONAMI) provide access to talent, research, development and commercialization. Nearby Brock University and Vineland Research Institute also provide further access to talent and research.
Welland is home to a diversified range of manufacturers and is consistently welcoming in new companies
- Access to 75% of North America’s purchasing power
- Within driving distance of 60% of the U.S. and 62% of the Canadian industrial market
- 7 of the top 10 U.S. industrial states are within one day’s trucking of Welland and it is even closer to major U.S. markets than Florida, Texas and California.
- The St. Lawrence Seaway links Welland to ocean ports in such places as Hong Kong, the Pacific Rim, Europe, and North and South America.
- Easy access to the U.S. and major international transportation gateways by auto, plane and train.
- Serviced by 2 Class 1 rail carriers
Key Advanced Manufacturing Sectors
- Steel product manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing
- Iron and steel mills and ferro-alloy manufacturing
- Food Processing/Manufacturing
“They want us to be there, they're going to support us and we know that we can get access to their great manufacturing talent pool.”
~ Adam Morris, Chief Executive Officer, CNTNR
Tools & Resources
Niagara College: Walker Advanced Manufacturing Innovation Centre – Specializes in engineering design, 3D technologies, lean manufacturing processes and additive manufacturing. Work with Southern Ontario businesses to bring ideas to life, from concept through to developing working prototypes, utilizing leading-edge technology, including equipment and software.
Southern Ontario Network for Advanced Manufacturing Innovation (SONAMI) – a network of colleges and one university, who, through their respective Research and Innovation Centres, are collaborating with small- and medium-sized companies to turn innovations into commercialized products.
Niagara Industrial Association – An industry-focused organization that advocates on behalf of local industry, promotes local industry, addresses the issues that inhibit the advancement of local industry.